A lot of people nowadays (especially millennials), want to travel the world. But, their main concern is money. They keep on saying that they don’t have enough money in order to travel to a certain destination. I do believe that all of us have the means to travel. You just need the guts to get out of your comfort zone and do the unexpected. In this post, let me share to you different ways on how you can save money for travel.
WAYS TO SAVE MONEY FOR TRAVEL
- Learn how to BUDGET. I can’t stress enough the importance of budgeting your money. As early as planning for your next vacation, you have to start saving a certain portion of your salary. To save 10% to 15% of your salary is a good start. Also, create an Excel file where you can track your expenses. This will guide you on how to spend your money right. If you still buy coffee everyday in Starbucks, I suggest that you make your own coffee at home and bring it with you to work. If you still buy food for lunch, I suggest that you pack your own lunch at home and bring it to work instead.
- Wait for airline promo fares. Airline promo fares help A LOT. If you are able to catch the promo fare, chances are you can get a huge discount for the travel fare. For instance, when you travel within the Philippines, Cebu Pacific loves to hold promo fares. If a regular fare to Dumaguete can cost you 6,000php roundtrip ($120), with the promo fare you can buy a roundtrip ticket worth 1000php ($20)!
- Sell your items. I’m sure there are a lot of items in your property that you can sell. With having the idea of selling some of your unused items, you are able to give other people a chance to use them and make others happy.
- Rent. If you think you don’t have any items to sell, then why not try renting your home or apartment? If you have your own apartment, I highly suggest signing up in AirBNB.
- Use your credit card’s points for airfare. If you are not able to catch any promo fares, using your credit card’s points to buy airfare tickets is also a good option. Before getting the promo fare for the trip to Europe, we were supposed to get Business Class seats. My mom has a lot of points stored in her credit card that with her points available, she can purchase 2 Business Class seats for free.
- Stay in hostels and guesthouses. Hostels in the Philippines can be priced around 400php/night ($8/night). Aside from its cheap price, you have the ability to interact with different people from all over the world!
- Do some freelancing. If you think that your salary in your 9-5 job can’t still be enough, having a sideline like freelancing is the way to go. You will be your own boss and call the shots. It will be up to you on how much you want to earn every month. You can be a virtual assistant, website design, SEO, online marketing, etc.
- WALK. If you are in another country, I highly suggest that you walk alot. When you walk a lot in an unexpected place, you will suddenly get the hang of the place. It will also be easy for you to know in which way to go.
- Bargain. When buying things in night markets, make sure to haggle. You will surely save a lot if you get to do this! When I went to Cambodia with my cousins, we went to their night market and bought items like shirts. They were selling a shirt to us for $10. We found it too expensive so we were able to bargain it for $5 instead.
- TRAVEL INSURANCE. When you travel, the travel insurance will be your best friend! If an airline lost your luggage, they will have to pay you a certain amount as placed in the travel insurance you bought at. So, make sure to keep on looking for great travel insurance that you think it’s right.
What other ways do you think you can save money for travel?